TBSP is now partnering with the Sierra Club to do overnight patrols to popular huts along the Sierra Crest! If you're lucky enough to get one, here's what you need to know:
- The huts have a wood burning stove for heat and are stocked with firewood for the season.
- You must bring your own sleeping bag and camp stove/utensils/bowl/cup/food.
- Many huts have a community stove. If your hut has one, donate a green Coleman propane bottle to it! Recycle any empty bottles you find. The wood stove will not work well for cooking.
- Pack out extra trash from the hut if there is any! Pack out any leftover perishables left by others in the emergency food cabinets.
- During low snow conditions, consider bringing a water filter/purifier to filter snow which is melted for drinking water. Probably not necessary with fresh snow, but when the white stuff is a couple months old, not a bad idea.
- Bring sleeping pad (some old huts used to provide pads but the mice used them as mouse pads..)
- Don't forget the creature comforts! Earplugs, Board Games, Slippers.
- Leave a few TBSP Recruiting Cards in the appropriate holders in the hut! Also, please print and post an updated Recruiting Flyer on the hut's bulletin board.
Have a great time!